Education – Action Day
September 18, 2020 is the day dedicated to Education during the #Morethanfootball Action Weeks.
“Education is the most powerful force in our hands to ensure significant improvements in health, stimulate economic growth, unlock the potential and innovation we need to build more resilient and sustainable societies.” – Audrey Azoulay, UNESCO Director General.
Although, accessibility to education is a basic human right, there are still today more than 260 million children who do not attend school. Obtaining a quality education is the foundation to creating sustainable development and it not only improves the quality of life, but access to education can also help locals gain the tools needed to develop efficient solutions to the problems facing their community.
Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4 states that education opens doors to the job market, combats inequality, reduces child mortality, promotes environmental engagement and is essential in breaking the cycle of poverty. For this reason, on September 18, we encourage all sports organisations to promote the fundamental role of education for sustainable development. Here are some examples of what clubs can do to highlight how they promote education and job opportunities.
Ideas for #Morethanfootball activities:
- Organise visits to local schools
- Celebrate teachers of your community programmes
- Launch campaign against early school leaving
- Hosting webinars/online meetings to share educational resources
- Sending educational resources to community organisations
- Highlight projects that support education in your community
- Wherever possible, create social media content (photos/videos) with beneficiaries of your education/employability programmes