MORE THAN FOOTBALL AWARD 2023 LONGLIST: Istanbul Başakşehir FK – Recycle for Football Guide
Istanbul Başakşehir FK has prepared a “#Recycle for Football” guide with the goal of informing football
fans about responsible consumption, more specifically, regarding the plastic and plastic-containing materials consumed in stadiums on match days and non-match days.
The project is the first ever document about sustainability to be created by a Turkish Football club. Additionally, it is a part of the season-going #Recycle campaign of the Club, gathering 2 different sustainability efforts of Istanbul Başakşehir FK: education and environment. The Guide is a result of great voluntary cooperation and efforts between the Club and its Alumni of the Professional Football Management Certificate Program.
MAIN PROJECT OBJECTIVES
- To inform and educate football fans about the plastic and plastic-containing materials consumed in stadiums on match days and non-match days, as well as their responsible consumption
- To create awareness about the emerging facts of plastic consumption via the impactful facts from the guide.
- To highlight the importance of working together to achieve sustainability goals, by the contribution of 6 different partners in the project. Sustainability is more about collaboration rather than competition
- To highlight the importance of volunteering efforts and work to achieve sustainability goals, by the contributions of Alumni of the Club’s education program
- To contribute to the Club’s brand image and long going sustainability efforts positively
The guide is created with the collaboration and direct contributions of Istanbul Başakşehir FK’s Alumni of its Professional Football Management Certificate Program. The amount of collaboration for creating and distributing the guide is also another important highlight when football clubs work in sustainability. The Club worked with 6 different partners in this project, emphasising that it is more a collaboration than a
This project is inspired by UEFA Circular Economy Guidelines and IOC’s Plastic Game Plan for Sport, and the main goal is to educate all fans coming to stadiums about the responsible consumption of plastic. Furthermore, the guide has 10 different chapters including basic information about sustainability, circular economy, recycling and football; alongside many key facts about plastic and plastic-containing materials consumed in stadiums. Additionally, it encourages fans to follow 4 steps about plastic; Reduce, Reuse, Recycle for Football and Remind! Inside the guide, you will also find different amazing initiatives and facts about Istanbul Başakşehir FK’s recycling efforts, such as their alternative jerseys and training products made from 100% recycled plastic material, and their home, Başakşehir Fatih Terim Stadium.